Sporting CP v Vitória SC


Sporting CP v Vitória SC 
Sunday August 16th, 2026
Estadio José Alvalade 
Matchday 2

The Warm Up

Saturday May 16th, 2026 saw Matchday 34 for Vitória SC who'd travelled away to the island of Madeira for their final game of the season to face CD Nacional. After the highs in early January of lifting the Taça da Liga after beating Sporting Braga 2-1 in the final, their season is in danger of going out on a whimper with a third straight league defeat. They'd been savagely trounced on Matchday 32 at the José Alvalade 5-1 which was followed by a surprise loss at home to Casa Pia 1-0 seven days later as they battled to avoid relegation. Gil Lameiras can only watch on as his side lost 2-0 to the islanders led by Tiago Margarido. You have to imagine that their club hierarchy had seen enough of both misters that day because fast forward three months and it's Margarido that will be in the opposition dugout as the new mister for this fixture.


In the 21 months since Rui Borges left Vitória to take over the reigns at Sporting CP, finding the right successor has not been an easy task for their board of directors. Daniel Sousa was charged with the task in December 2024. In August of that year he'd lasted 4 games as the mister of Sporting Braga before they parted ways. He was the mister when Vitória drew with Sporting 4-4 at home. The lions had led 3-0, somehow found themselves 4-3 down only for Trincão to equalise deep into stoppage time for what proved to be a valuable point in the title race that season. On January 13th, 2025 Sousa was gone after just three games, one less than he'd lasted at Braga. Luís Freire would last longer than Sousa but only until July 2025, his successor Luís Pinto until March 2026 and finally Lameiras who was replaced in June of this year. Clearly Rui Borges has left some big shoes to fill. It maybe important to note that at the time of Borges' departure his Vitória side were second in the Europa Conference League Group phase table, second only to the billion pound squad assembled by BlueCo at Premier League Chelsea who unsurprisingly went on to win the competition.

If your new to Portuguese football, in Portugal this fixture is listed as Sporting CP v Vitória SC. If you saw it listed in an international market it'll probably be listed as Sporting Lisbon v Vitória de Guimarães. Please be a better person and learn the correct first version. For the uniniated, by virtue of average attendance as a performance indicator, Vitória are the fourth biggest club in the country. That however doesn't translate onto the pitch in terms of success unfortunately for them. That title is bestowed to Sporting Braga, yes the same Braga who we've established they beat in the final of the Taça da Liga in January of this year. Look I didn't say this was an exact science. Yet if you are new to the league, if you're doing predictions on where clubs will finish in the league table, most fans would start with writing Braga in 4th spot. Hence the famous quote about nothing being certain in life other than death, taxes and Braga finishing fourth. I may have been paraphrasing there or using a tiny bit of artistic licence. Then you have Os Três Grandes, the three grandest and largest ladies in Portuguese football of Sporting, current champions FC Porto and our biggest rivals and THE biggest club by far in all of the country Sport Lisboa e Benfica. The title is going to be won by one of those three teams. Just take my word for it. I just can't tell you which one. 

Last season they averaged 16,557 spectators at their ground the Estádio Afonso D. Henriques. They totalled 281,468 bums on seats across their 17 home games. Now if you're thinking that doesn't feel like an awful lot then I think you can he forgiven. Only five of the top flight clubs had average attendances that were in five figures for their home games across 2025/26. Twelve of the remaining thirteen clubs had average attendances of less than 5,000. Ten of those clubs had attendances less than 3,000 per game. The two smallest clubs by attendance had an average of less than 2,000. This is the Portuguese top flight, the Portuguese equivalent of the Premier League, Serie A or Ligue 1. This is not a case of fans being priced out of the market by the way, you could expect to pay about €11 for an adult ticket. I could fly to Portugal and back, watch a game and I suspect pay for accomodation for cheaper than I could travel to London and back and watch a Premier League game without any accommodation. 

Portugal is not a large country by mass or population. That being said given the price to watch top flight games you can argue the point that Portugal is not a footballing nation. I can write that here safe in the knowledge that no one reads these posts in Portugal - I get the breakdown by country. You might struggle to get a ticket for the Dérbi de Lisboa (Sporting v Benfica) or O Clássico (Porto Vs one of either Lisbon clubs) yet for any other game you'll get a ticket for less than €20 at the Dragão, Da Luz or Estádio José Alvalade. If they can't grow the men's game in Portugal then they've very little chance of ever succeeding with the women's game I'm afraid. So with a lack of money at the turnstiles, traditionally no centralised TV contract for all clubs with the big boys negotiating theirs separately, a lack of commercial income from shirt sales for those from 6th through 18th, it's hardly surprising every club sells their star names to the highest bidder season after season. I'd argue that Vitória are one of the best selling clubs in Portuguese football. They don't produce superstars who they can sell for what I'd call silly money, but unlike matchday 1 opponents CF Estrela da Amadora, they can generally balance their books with player sales. We're just short of three weeks from this fixture being played as I write and they've sold Diogo Sousa to Strasbourg for £8.6m and Noah Saviolo for £7.3m to Trabzonspor. Last summer it was Toni Borevkovic to Samsunspor for £4.6m. Not life changing amounts, but valuable income to pay the annual wage bill and keep up their investment in their academy setup looking for the next good product to sell on and continue the cycle. Oddly despite selling of players very much being part of Portuguese football you still get a sub section of fans bemoaning the loss. It probably took me two to three seasons to get used to seeing us sell our best players and a decade later I'm at the stage where I just shrug. We've seen Trincão, Hjulmand, Quenda and Morita all leave. By the end of this week they'll most likely have been joined by Pedro Gonçalves and Ousmane Diomande. What's the point in moaning about something you can't change? It's the economic reality of Portuguese football. Only one club can win the league any given season. Only five clubs have ever won the title in all of Portuguese history. I've happily taken coming second last season playing entertaining football over the dog shit turgid football played under Farioli in winning the league with FC Porto last time out. I don't think he'll be long in the job if that's the style of football he continues to serve up every week. I've been watxhing football for forty years now and I've seen some absolute crap served up and spent a lot of money and time travelling to be disappointed. Winning league titles is great but you get a dopamine hit for about six or seven hours followed by the mother of come downs the next day off of a natural high. I've seen us win three league titles and each time the initial reaction is fucking hell were league champions, this is incredible. I didn't have the same thought for the next 364 days. My identity doesn't rely on my football club winning titles, but I would like to be entertained. There was a Porto fan given it the biggun online to one of our mob last week about the Supertaça final and how he'd apparently be watching on crying as they won the first title of the season. I happily pointed out less than politely that no fan outside of those of Porto or Torreense would waste their time tuning in to watch Farioli ball, let alone for the Supertaça. I'm still waiting on a reply. Sometimes you can't argue with the truth. 

Last season Vitória finished ninth and the fact they eventually changed coaches this summer for me is a clear indicator that they considered that to have been a disappointing campaign even if they did win only their second major trophy in the clubs history to add to their Taça de Portugal win. I think for their size they should be pencilling themselves in for 5th or 6th place every season. They'll need to improve on the road to achieve that this forthcoming season. Last time out saw them lose a total of 11 times out of the 17 games played including the 5-1 thumping to Sporting I'd already highlighted above. Just 4 wins and 2 draws, GF 13, GA 32. Oh that's the other thing if you're new to Portuguese football - goalscorers are really hard to find. At home they won 8, drew 4 and lost 5. GF 26, GA 19. They won exactly double the points at home that they did away - 28 to 14. 

Of their 39 goals scored just 22 were from open play. 9 from set pieces, 1 free kick, 5 penalties and the beneficiaries of 2 opponents putting the ball into their own net. They underperformed their XG of 40.7. Their top scorer was Samu with 7 goals, 2 of which came from the penalty spot. Gustavo Silva and Oumar Camará the next best best with 5 apiece. 3 or less goals for the remainder of those who did find the back of the net. On the one hand Vitória clearly need to find someone who can score more regularly, on the other you still only get 3 points for winning 1-0 they you would do it you were to win 3-0. 

I've mentioned the home game twice already so it's only fair I address the elephant in the room and mention that it was the lions who Vitória beat in the semi finals of the Taça da Liga. Had they not then won the Taça da Liga I'd have been more aggrieved but the fact they did manage it, well for me it was something Portuguese football really needed. I mean I really, really could have done without us giving a leg up to Torreense in the Taça de Portugal in May as well but there's no limits on generosity. We have inadvertently fucked the Portuguese European co-efficient but let the record books show that Vitória SC and SCU Torreense won the cups in the 2025/26 season. That's genuinely huge for Portuguese football. Hopefully all clubs look at the Taça de Portugal this season and think why not us? Why just the Taça de Portugal? you may be asking if you're new to Portuguese football. Because they changed the format to the Taça da Liga. I'm not sure Vitória will even have the chance to defend their title. I want to say it's the top six finishers in the Liga from the previous season plus the two promoted sides who'll battle it out. I could just check... Cue the elevator music. No that is correct, I'm not sure why I doubt myself sometimes. We'll see if it continues on in the same vein this season. Whatever the format it also seems important to mention that there were two lower league semi finalists in the Taça de Portugal with Torreense having overcome AD Fafe over two legs. You'll forgive me for wanting more for smaller teams but the stranglehold of Os Três Grandes is never good for the game and it's not like we've ever had the stranglehold either compared to the other two clubs. Braga are part backed by QSI who own PSG and they've never won a Portuguese league title. The amount of stars needing to align to ever find a sixth winner would be incalculable. One of Os Três Grandes having a bad season happens and yes traditionally Sporting having been that one of the three. You might get two of three having by their high standards a poor season. Getting all three to have poor seasons with the financial disparities in Portugal does now seem like an impossibility.

In pre-season Vitória have drawn against Nottingham Forest 1-1, who at the time of writing Sporting are set to face off against this Friday in their final warm up fixture. Their fixture scheduled against Forest's sister club Rio Ave earlier in the week was apparently cancelled. 

I'll update you with any transfer news and the 
Vitória matchday 1 roundup as and when they've happened. 

Comments

Popular Posts