2.10 The Story of Alcochete: Mummy's boy
I figured what we really needed to do is go through
everything we could find about the defendants that hadn't been the big name
draws, we were going to do what Cândida Vilar had almost wilfully chosen to do
which was to pick from the low hanging fruit. If the testimony that follows is
from the low hanging fruit then I guess that makes those who follow in part 11,
the rotten apples. So on with the post…
In the 34th session we heard from two of the defendants on
trial. As always a note that the testimony shown may not be entirely
accurate because Google translate is good aa Cândida Vilar is at prosecuting.
Any words changed are done to make a sentence read how I think it was meant and
not in the garbled nonsense that was spat back out. Any changes are not meant
in a defamatory manner, neither were they ever made to try and deliberately
mislead you the reader.
Pedro Lara
Prior to the testimony of Lara the court heard character
witnesses from his mother Maria Isabel, and his girlfriend, Daniela.
The words of his mother: “He was always very responsible. He
was always the one who helped me and was my support system. He was good at what
he did, he had a sense of justice, of goodness, he helped people even in an
extraordinary way. Conflicts? No, on the contrary, when there weren't any, he
was the one to separate them. He studied as long as he wanted, but even without
needing to, he was already working. Now that he’s come to his senses, he’s very
down, with enormous regret, not only for the harm he caused to those families
but also to his own family.”
She confirmed the car used was hers as his was in the
garage. Some things that were there, like a baseball bat, ball, and other
sports equipment, belonged to him, given to him by friends.
Note - Well at least he had a baseball to go with the bat. I
remember an officer from Derbyshire telling me he'd found a bat in the car of a
taxi driver who claimed to be part of the Derby Baseball League when
questioned. Funny what sticks in your head even a decade later and no he didn't
have a ball to go with it.
“From what I know, he was going to criticise the players but
also encourage them for the World Cup, and then things went downhill.”
Note - I'm guessing either his mother is not a big football
fan or the reporter didn't know what the Taça de Portugal was.
The girlfriend: “We’ve been dating for two years, but we had
dated before; we’ve known each other for 20 years. He was in Brazil, and then
we reconnected. He’s a genuine, honest, friendly, loyal, non-confrontational,
and helpful person. He’s very sorry for everything he did, not only to his
family but to all families. He’s not doing well with the situation. In a way,
his outlook on life has changed; he’s much more down now… What has changed in
our lives? A lot has been put on hold: vacations, trips, getting married
someday, having children. All of that has stopped.”
Pedro Lara, the defendant: “I’d like to explain the whole
situation that involved me, but only talk about myself. They called me to go to
the Academy. I was at work, I passed by the Alvalade stadium, I stopped at
Lidl…,”
Judge Pires asked him to detail the steps.
PL: “I was at work, they sent a message asking if I wanted
to go, I couldn’t see all the WhatsApp messages. It was the day before, I think
it was a day before. It was to tease the players for not qualifying for the
Champions League but also to encourage them for the following weekend, to win
the Taça de Portugal final. I went to Alvalade to give other people a ride. Did
I know them? I knew them.”
Once more he chooses that conceal who was with him.
“I only found out we were going to Lidl. I had been to the
Academy before, I went there to watch youth and B team games. And another time,
when [José] Peseiro was the coach. Sporting had to win that game, I think it
was against Benfica. We went as a group. The gate was closed, they spoke to a
gentleman there and we went in, in an orderly fashion. It was just one
supporters' group, Juve Leo. At Lidl I noticed there were more cars but I
couldn't tell how many. The goal was that when we got there the training would
be happening, that's what I understood from the messages.”
JP: "Were they already running?"
PL: "Yes."
JP: "Were you running too?"
PL: "Yes."
JP: "Why?"
PL: "Because I was following behind…"
JP: "And didn't you find it strange that they were
covering their faces?"
PL: "Everyone has their reasons…"
JP: "Usually people on the street don't walk around
with their faces covered…"
PL: "Since there were journalists there, some
people didn't want to be seen."
JP: "Did you cover your face too?"
PL: "Yes."
JP: "With what?"
PL: "With a scarf that was in the car."
JP: "But the car belonged to your mother, was the scarf
there?"
PL: "No, I took it with me to cover my face. I
didn't want to be on TV…"
“Everything was open, I followed the people who were in
front. We went forward, we went right, then left, I followed the group that was
further ahead. There was nobody on the fields, I don't remember if Jorge Jesus
was there… There were only three people, I expected them to be training. Then I
turned left where there was a glass door. I don't know why I went in there, I
followed those who were in front. Possibly there were players there. When I
went in, I turned left and there was that gentleman who was a Sporting player,
Manuel Fernandes, yelling, and I stood there listening."
JP: "Did you see flares being set off? Smoke?"
PL: "Yes."
JP: "Inside?"
PL: "In the corridor, as far as I noticed, I
didn't see any."
JP: "And the fire alarm, did you hear it?"
PL: "I don't remember…"
JP: "When you're there, Do you have the perception that
those people were entering?"
PL: "There were some who were going, others who
were going back and forth, others leaving…"
JP: "Did you see if Jorge Jesus was going after
anyone?"
PL: "He was yelling at someone, I didn't
understand who or if he was going after him or not."
Fátima Almeida then began asking questions, starting with
the WhatsApp messages and what he had said in the “Academia Amanhã” group.
FA:" Did you also write in that group?"
PL: "I wrote two or three times, I was
working…"
FA:" You said ‘I’m going too’, ‘I have room in the
car’, you said ‘We have to go to Casinha to pick someone up’… When you say
you’re going, you have to understand you’re not a child, you offer rides to
others…"
PL: "In my mind, nobody would go there to do what
happened, I would never go there if I knew what was going to happen…"
FA:" The other time you went to the Academy, did
you go with your faces covered?"
PL: "No."
FA:" You didn’t think about that?"
PL: "Not at the time…"
“When I was leaving for the dirt parking lot, I could see
the GNR car pass by me, I saw it out of the corner of my eye. As they went to
the left, I turned to the right,”
Note - Seems a tad ironic that a squad car apparently drove
past a large congregation of cars and presumably the officers didn't think
anything of it…
FA:" You mentioned Manuel Fernandes… What did he
say?"
PL: "That this wasn't Sporting…"
FA:" You were there for two minutes, what were you
doing during that time?"
PL: "I was there, with all the confusion, I was
paralysed…"
FA:" And when did you leave?"
PL: "When someone told me to leave…"
FA:" Mr. Rollin [Duarte, assistant technical
secretary of Sporting's professional team] passed by you…"
PL: "Who? I don't remember…"
FA:" I'm telling you… Who else did you see?"
PL: "There were two other people there that I
don't know who they were."
FA:" So you were there for two minutes doing
nothing?"
PL: "People were passing by…"
FA:" How old were you at the time?"
PL: "I was 35 years old."
FA:" When you went there during Peseiro's time,
what was the reason?"
PL: "Sporting needed to win…"
FA:" And did you win?"
PL: "I don't think so…"
“Besides the scarf, I was also carrying a cap and
sunglasses. I saw the flares from outside, before entering that lobby door;
inside I only saw smoke. When I saw the flares, I started to find it strange,
yes. Thinking about it now… I really didn't think about it; if I had, I
wouldn't have gone… I can't explain it, I've thought a lot about what happened
and I can't understand it. I was a Sporting member, I stopped paying my dues
two years ago,” he continued.
FA:" And what about Juve Leo?"
PL: "I know the people, but I wasn't a
member."
FA:" Do you go to games with the supporters?"
PL: "I did…"
FA:" But did you see them there?"
PL: "It wasn't exactly there, it was higher
up."
FA:" Do you know the casuals?"
PL: "I know them… (laughs)"
FA:" They're a kind of Loch Ness monster… So, what
is a casual?"
PL: "A casual isn't part of any supporters'
group…"
FA:" But you can also be part of a supporters'
group…"
PL: "Maybe not… Usually it's a separate group,
they dress in dark clothes, travel alone, walk alone, they don't have club
merchandise…"
FA:" But you're describing a normal fan…"
PL: "Yeah, I don't know…"
FA:" Okay, so you were just a member of Juve
Leo…"
PL: "No, of Sporting."
“This stopped my life. The things I had to do, it’s all
completely been put aside… I don’t care so much about Sporting anymore, I
stopped following them. I might go see the games when all this is over, I know
it’s not bad to be a Sporting fan but it affected my life a lot… I can’t
explain it… Thinking about it coldly afterwards, nobody in their right mind
would have even gone, but at that moment… A person doesn’t think…”
Cândida Vilar then, wanted to talk a little more about the
WhatsApp messages, in a dialogue that Sílvia Pires, the presiding judge of the
panel, then interrupted.
JP: "What were the rockets you're talking about
here?"
PL: "I knew someone who repaired flares and
rockets, but I messaged that same person later saying I wasn't going to bring
anything."
JP: "And the flares were an incentive?"
PL: "It's like in stadiums, flares and smoke are a
form of incentive…"
JP: "But when they're thrown onto the field…? And then
there are fines…"
PL: "That's not the case. For some reason it's
prohibited, but in other countries it isn't, in Germany for example?"
JP: "How did you imagine these rockets?"
PL: "I didn't bring anything. The other time with
Peseiro, smoke and flares were lit."
“I also covered my face because of my mother's work, so I
wouldn't be caught. Sometimes I went out for her business, I knew some people
who worked with her, and by chance, many years ago, some images of me even
surfaced.”
“Just the fact that we went there and the damage we caused
to Sporting, to the players and their families… Being arrested…”
Note - I'll hold my hands up whilst the baseball bat in the
car raised an eyebrow, given we started with character witnesses from his
mother and his girlfriend I had somewhat naively assumed he must have been
about the age of 18 or 19 during the attacks, not nearly double the age. Or
maybe it was just me? I know the girlfriend said they'd known each other twenty
years but I'd not taken that to mean a complete time in the romantic sense.
I'd have liked to know where his eyes went when he laughed
about knowing the casuals. Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.
Shakespeare? Possibly. Anyways all told the other telling mark was when the
judge states he was there for two minutes. I knew it was over pretty quickly
but I'm hoping for his poor girlfriends sake he stays longer than two minutes
for other things. 35 years old … Please at least one of you who read that
tell me I'm not the only person who was surprised by that.
António Catarino
Catarino was the warm up act for Nuno Mendes. No pressure
son. Mind you when you've got one of the alleged moral authors of the
attacks following on you'd be fortunate if anyone was really paying attention
to what you have to say.
AC: “On May 15th, I was at university, I didn't know
anything, I had class, I was having lunch, they asked me if I wanted to go to
the Academy. I assumed it was to go to express our discontent, to talk to the
players. Now in this moment, I know I was wrong at the time… I thought I had
some right. My displeasure was at the team's poor performance, having failed to
qualify for the Champions League. I went by car with other people who gave me a
ride. How can I say it? Someone called me, said they were going, then I talked
to other people who were also going. We stopped at Lidl, I didn't get out of
the car, I had no idea of the who the other people were. I noticed there were
three or four cars but I had no idea. We parked in the dirt parking lot. I got
out of the car, some people put on balaclavas. Someone passed me, asked if I
wanted one because I didn't have one and they had an extra one.
“I started running too because I thought the training was
going to end. I had never been to the Academy before. Your Honor, I didn't know
if authorisation was needed or not, I knew they had been there before. I
thought it was organised by the fan group's leadership, but I don't have much
knowledge.”
JP: "That's already clear, if you had much knowledge
you wouldn't get involved in this…"
AC: "Well…"
JP: "Did someone go ahead, did someone organise
it?"
AC: "I saw people, several people from Juve Leo.
Some I recognised by sight. I saw Fernando Mendes. I thought it was
organised…"
JP: "And they were covering their faces?"
AC: "I thought it was so we could demonstrate, I
didn't know it was a tool to commit a crime…"
JP: "Then what was it?"
AC: "It had Sporting symbols, I'd seen them in the
stands at games…"
JP: "But it wasn't on a football field…"
AC: "Yes, but I always saw it as an accessory,
Your Honor…"
JP: “I don’t know the Academy, I went looking for them, I
lost track of where the people who came with me were. I went looking, I saw
some flares, I saw one under the car which I thought was unintentional because
I saw someone taking the flare from under the car. The intention was to go talk
to the players, when I saw the group entering the building I thought they were
going to ask to speak to someone. As if we had that right… I enter the
building, turn left, when I get to a part that has a kind of an 'S', I found
that very strange and thought: ‘I didn’t come here for this’."
JP: "Did you go into the dressing room?"
AC: "No, no, Your Honor… I stayed there at that
'S' thinking that wasn’t normal. I saw Bas Dost leaning against the wall,
clutching his head, right after the first door. I stayed there, seeing if I
could see the people I had gone with. I didn’t see them anywhere. Then I heard
screams, saw smoke, I started to panic…"
JP: "But you went through the door, you know
that…"
AC: "And I kept looking for the people. Honestly I
was in shock. It all happened so fast. I saw people leaving, saying, ‘Wow, this
has already gone downhill’… It’s already turned into a mess, let’s say… But I
couldn’t leave, I had hitched a ride…"
JP: "But what did you think it was?"
AC: "For Bas Dost to be in that state, he must
have been assaulted…"
JP: "But it was a consequence of the group that
entered…"
AC: "Of course, that’s right, obviously…"
JP: “People were leaving, it was total chaos… To be honest,
my head didn’t even hear the alarm go off, I didn’t find the people and I ran
away, to the foot of the car. I saw Mr. Jorge Jesus enter, when I was leaving
he was leaving too, shouting. I didn’t realise he was going after someone. I
just wanted to understand what was happening and leave. I’m even a smoker and I
even felt bad about that and the balaclava. Now that I see it, I remember Mr.
Manuel Fernandes saying that this wasn’t Sporting…"
JP: "Did you go to Madeira?"
AC: "No."
JP: "And were you in the garages after the game against
Marítimo?"
AC: "No."
JP: "But I see here that you searched for balaclavas on
your phone…"
AC: "Until that moment I considered it an item to
support the team, an accessory, and I was thinking about the Taça de Portugal
final. I didn’t even know I was going to the Academy until then…"
“When I saw someone pulling a flare from under the car, I
thought there were people there who were going to calm things down. On other
trips to the Academy, I knew they had lit a flare or two… Was there a preferred
target? No, it was the team as a whole, one player can't be blamed alone.”
JP: "Are you a Sporting member?"
AC: "Yes ma'am, but I'm suspended now…"
JP: "And a Juve Leo member?"
AC: "For a year."
“I wanted to express my deepest regret for thinking I had
the right to go there and demand explanations from anyone. The biggest victims
were the players. What happened on May 15th cannot represent Portuguese
football and organised fan groups. I wanted to apologise to the players, the
coaching staff, Sporting, Sporting members, and society because we set the
worst example of conduct. I spent 14 months in prison, I wouldn't wish that on
anyone. I went through difficult times, my grandfather passed away and I
couldn't be there. My family is very Catholic, we care a lot about Christmas,
my mother spent Christmas at the prison gates to feel closer to me, the players
are human beings, they went through that and I want to offer my sincerest
apologies…”
The reporter noted that Catarino returned to the second
block of the Monsanto Court, sitting opposite the other defendants and drunk
almost half a bottle of water in one gulp. Are we sure it was water and not
vodka?
I'm never
really sure why some people think you fell off the last boat. Why were you
googling Balaclavas? Oh as a fashion accessory for the final. I'm sorry…for the
final at the end of May… in Portugal…land of fucking roasting hot weather.
Sure, sure I buy that. Should have added that to his punishment to have
to wear it for four or five hours outside in Portuguese summer time. Make it a
black one as well to attract the heat given apparently that's the casuals
colour of choice. Perhaps Lacoste, Fila, Burberry and the likes never made it to
Portugal?
Not all defendants chose to give a statement to the court. We'll maybe assume that with these two that they fit in the camp of hangers on rather than genuine hooligans. Any idiot can have all the gear and no idea and call themselves a casual based on what they wear.
This is starting to have the feel of when you had to do cross country running at school. Now I've no idea what the majority of the defendants look like but what I can testify to is that some of them really are fat bastards. I know this because there's photos of them being transported by officers outside of the courts with their T shirts over their heads to protect their identity and everything else is quite literally hanging out from the neck to the waistline. So maybe we should picture it as two groups. Those at least relatively fit who jog from the dirt car park, through the security gates, down through the players car park and into the academy complex, then a secondary group of stragglers who've probably only run for public transport since they left school. If the original plan was to catch the players training then they failed miserably although it must be said I wouldn't like to swear whether they were still to train or whether they had trained. Though presumably if it was the latter there would have been a few half naked players about the dressing room. All told neither is it a planned attack, nor is it a very well thought out plan of any kind. Had it involved catching a train you don't suppose anyone would have made the connection.
Anyways I think we can safely say a large proportion of
those who attended weren't invited for their Kung Fu skills. Or maybe they were
invited because they have beautiful singing voices although neither of them
mentioned it during their testimony so take it as read that I'm taking the
piss.
But what do we really learn here? That critically for one
group of those who went it was definitively sold to them how they told it. Why?
Because there's no pre-planned exit strategy. If you were genuinely planning to
carry out an attack you'd plan how to get away in advance. Catarino - he's
going now the fuck am I going to get home. His exit strategy was to rendezvous
half an hour later and get a lift back. Not a planned attack… Well at least for
certain parts of the group.
The question is with just two parts remaining of the story within the story, within the story, which might not actually have been a story at all…of all the defendants we've not heard a single thing about, is there anyone amongst them that would make you do a double take and make you change your minds again? This next post is for the true crimes podcast fans…if anyone was ever daft enough to make it into a podcast series. I'm open to offers. We'll see you for the penultimate part next time.





.webp)

Comments
Post a Comment